Tetsuro Shigematsu, photo by Raymond Shum
1 Hour Photo
A Digital Presentation | A Vancouver Asian Canadian Theatre Production
Written and performed by Tetsuro Shigematsu (Empire of the Son), 1 Hour Photo is the story of Mas Yamamoto, a man whose life was swept up by the major currents of the 20th century. From growing up in a fishing village on the banks of the Fraser River, to being confined at a Japanese Canadian internment camp during World War II, to helping build the Distant Early Warning Line in the Canadian Arctic during the height of the Cold War, 1 Hour Photo is a moving portrait saturated with the most vivid colours of our times.
Navigating this new world of social distancing spawned the innovative solution to bring vAct’s award-winning production 1 Hour Photo across Canada. vAct has collaborated with a Vancouver based film production company, Brightlight Pictures, to produce a high quality, 75 minute cinematic adaptation of 1 Hour Photo by Tetsuro Shigematsu. Presented by theatre companies across Canada, the 1 Hour Photo Virtual Tour will engage with audiences through scheduled showings accompanied by a live talkback with Tetsuro Shigematsu.
“The entire show was a sensory delight and wonder—visually, musically, and emotionally”— Yukari Peerless, yukaripeerless.ca
“1 Hour Photo animates an extraordinary life with vivid props and projections...the play is a buffet of sensory textures” — Kathleen Oliver, The Georgia Straight
“Superbly written and performed, 1 Hour Photo is a universal story” — John Jane, Review Vancouver
- Once you have purchased your ticket(s), you will receive an email with the link and information for you to watch the performance and post-show Q & A.
- The performance is date & time specific. You must click your link by 7:30 pm CDT (or 2 pm Sunday) on your performance day - you will NOT be able to watch it later.
- If you are unable to watch the performance for which you purchased tickets, it is possible to exchange to another performance. The exchange fee is $2.50.
- We recommend that you sign in with a few minutes lead time, in case of any technical issues
- For the best viewing experience, we suggest ensuring you have a stable internet connection and recommend using a direct connection to your modem with an Ethernet cable if possible. The event can be accessed via most major internet browsers, but please upgrade to the latest version for the best experience:
Chrome version 55 or higher
Firefox version 53 or higher
Safari version 12.1 or higher (there is an audio bug in version 14, so if currently using
this version, please upgrade to version 14.0.2)
Edge version 42 or higher
Apple iOS 14.3 or higher
If you do not receive the email with the viewing link, or have any questions, please call the Box Office at 204-942-5483 (Monday - Saturday, 1-5 pm, and until 8 pm on performance days)